Fall Flowers

Monday, June 2, 2008

A Food Breakthrough?

As those of you who are or have raised toddlers know, feeding them can be a challenge. At our house, other than breakfast, ever other meal is just plain painful. S only likes to eat a few things (peanut butter, bananas, yogurt, and anything sweet) and so we are constantly trying to coerce him into eating other things. I worry a lot that he isn't getting enough to eat, especially fruits and vegis. According to everything I've read, though, this is completely normal and he will turn out fine. But, I still worry a lot. Anyway, the other day I was feeding O(who eats a lot of everything) some baby food carrots and S wanted to try them. So I said sure. I assumed he would spit them out, but he loved them! He finished the jar! And last night he ate a jar of sweet potatoes! While some people might say this is regression, I say Hallelujah! My boy is eating vegis! O doesn't really eat much baby food any more, so I will buying more today to give to S as a snack. (Possibly he thinks he's eating pudding because these are the baby foods in the little plastic boxes, similar to snack packs. If so, that's okay because he's eating vegetables!)

4 comments:

Carolina Girl said...

I saw this book on Oprah one day...Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry's wife) has written a cookbook called Deceptively Delicious and she uses veggie purees in a lot of recipes to get the veggies into her little ones diets. I haven't read it or anything, but maybe it would be worth a try??

Elso said...

I actually have that cookbook, but unfortunately S won't eat any of the foods that the purees go in. Silly kid!

B-Mama said...

M is SUCH a picky eater, but we've been working on it and he's slowly getting better with time. Hang in there! I agree, if the veggie purees are working, go with them! :) Dips work really well for my boys--as long as they have something for dipping, things go down more smoothly. Raw broccoli and carrots, for example, go great with ranch dressing dip. Both boys scarf them down.

I think part of the fun with dips is the feeling of autonomy they have at getting to do it all themselves. I'm now trying to work dips into everything! :) Best of luck!!

Anonymous said...

hey, girl. i'm a little behind on commenting on this, but my pediatrician says that toddlers eat on the average one meal every OTHER day. so, if he's willing to eat baby food, at least he's getting most nutrition than most kids! maybe this would work for mine...you might be onto something!